July 3, 2009

¤ And You Thought Video Killed The Radio Star ¤

Since when was it socially acceptable to play a song about "oral sex" on the radio? Probably around the same time that Lil' Jon & The Eastside Boyz flooded the airwaves with "Get Low" and their infamous "aahh skeet skeet" line I suppose; but Plies' new song "Becky" takes things to an all time low. Not so much to the point that I'm offended but, more so, to the point that I'm concerned. Allow me to explain.

I absolutely despise the radio for those that care to know but it's kind of hard to ignore when you're driving. Especially when your ipod freezes up and the only alternative you have IS the radio. As you can tell, I've had this problem a time or two; but it never really bothered me until the other day. For whatever reason, my ipod seems to have a mind of its own at times and I guess divine intervention stepped in and said I just had to hear this song. Which I did and all I could think was, "how is this on the radio?"

That's all I could think as I was listening and what I don't get is how an educated guy like Plies (watch one of his interviews if you don't believe me) can dumb himself down to make music like this? I get that he has a fan base and all, but what you like/do behind closed doors is your own business. No need to make a song about it. Let alone put it out as a lead single to gauge interest for your album. That kind of shit makes no sense whatsoever and the risks in doing so seem greater than the reward.

I mean, think about it, as much as kids emulate what they already see/hear; why continue to add fuel to the fire? That's exactly what Plies is doing here in my opinion and I fear the more desensitized we become as a society, the more acceptable behavior like this will become a norm.

But perhaps we may have already reached that point. Just this morning I was on the AllHipHop.com message board and it was sickening almost to see grown ass men loathing over this "thick" 16-year old girl. All the degrading, nasty comments about what they would do to her was enough to make anybody uncomfortable and I guess that's why I'm trying to shed light on the subject via this blog.

In no way am I saying that music is to blame; but I will say is that it has some influence. Turn on BET if you don't believe me. We live in a world of misogynistic vantage points that are oftentimes taken out of context, but what else would you expect when all we see are girls in damn near nothing, shaking their asses in these videos?

Definitely not a positive one and the thing I don't get is how people don't understand how kids could see this and think it's perfectly fine. At some point in time we have to draw a line as far as what is considered decent; and last I checked, how "anatomically accurate" you are should not define you. It just shouldn't. Real talk!

But to sit here and say that it doesn't would be a lie on my behalf. The fact of the matter is that music media has conditioned us to think this way and until we do otherwise, "Becky" and everything that comes along with it will continue to be a problem.

...And you thought video killed the radio star.


-T.I.-

1 comments:

RDF said...

AS A FAN OF PLIES I DO THINK THAT THE SONG BECKY SHOULD NOT BE PLAYED ON THE RADIO. I AGEE 100% WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID

Post a Comment