February 1, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII | Arizona Cardinals Vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

Although last year's Super Bowl was an anomaly, I firmly believe this year will be a return to normalcy. Albeit the game involves an improbable, yet resilient, Arizona Cardinals team; the Pittsburgh Steelers have been mightily impressive themselves and I think that's what a lot of experts/analysts are seeming to overlook. Sure, to the casual fan, the Arizona Cardinals are a trendy pick and who doesn't love a Cinderella story? Last year's upset of the New York Giants over the undefeated New England Patriots was one of the most watched Super Bowls in recent memory and I think that the impact of that game was far reaching than one would've ever imagined. Bitter, I can't help but feel a little begrudged being that I AM a fan of the patriots; but, still, I digress.

I guess what frustrates me the most is that I still don't believe that the Arizona Cardinals have done anything to get here. First, they beat a rookie QB that didn't change up his snap count and were then handed a game courtesy of Jake Delhomme and his 5 interceptions. Combine that with the fact that they allowed the Philadelphia Eagles to score 19 STRAIGHT points in the second half of the NFC Championship game only to score 8 of their own to win the game; I just feel like this offense of theirs is only predicated on hoping that the team their facing self-destructs.

And that, my friend, is the biggest misconception about these Arizona Cardinals. It's not so much that their red hot but, rather that the mistakes they make have been minimal as compared to that of their opponent. Will that trend continue in Super Bowl XLIII? Who knows but, dare I say it is highly unlikely. The Pittsburgh defense is #1 in the league for a reason and will come ready to play. Not to mention, Big Ben has a lot to prove following his dismal performance in Super Bowl XL and all signs point to him having a much better game. If he stays within the offense, makes a few plays down the field, and rely on the strong running game of Willie Parker, the Pittsburgh Steelers will be victorious. A recipe for success nonetheless. Wouldn't you agree?
Final Score: Pittsburgh 31, Arizona 20

0 comments:

Post a Comment