December 7, 2007

Beanie Sigel: The Solution

“The Roc is in the building!” Remember the glory days of Roc-a-Fella and how every release just had that feel to it? I’m not saying that it’s not there anymore because Kanye’s "Graduation", Jay’s "American Gangster" and, recently, Freeway’s "Free At Last" still have that knock to it but the latest release from Beanie Sigel is one of the biggest missteps in the line of releases from the ROC. Point. Blank. Period.


I pretty much think I’m one of the select few that actually enjoyed his first single off the new album that features R. Kelly but after hearing other joints like “Go Low”, “Gutted” and “What They Gon’ Say To Me”, I figured the album had the potential to be great if not classic. Needless to say, the album is far away from great and the biggest complaint I have, personally, is that Beanie Sigel seems to have forced everything. Lyrically, Beans is a monster when it comes to this “rap shit” as he would put it but he failed to deliver this time around and it’s nothing more than a huge disappointment.


Maybe I’m reading too much into things but it is what it is, you know? I expected The Solution to re-establish Beanie Sigel among the elite MC’s in the game but the way things are looking…I expect that when it’s all said and done, Beanie Sigel will be lumped into the same mold as Jadakiss. You know, rappers who are extremely talented but suffer from bad creative control and poor album sales. I never expect to hear any of the two to have a number one hit anymore and I doubt it will happen anytime soon but I could be wrong. Shout out to Jada for being down with the Roc though. Again, I doubt his stock will rise now that he’s with a winning team but maybe this is exactly what he needed to jumpstart his promising career.


Getting back to The Solution, however, I enjoyed the production mostly and here and there Beans came through with that “her-oin flow” of his. Overall, the album is solid though but caters to hardcore fans mainly. I respect him for taking things in a new direction and all with some of his song selections but most of the time I found myself scratching my head. I’ve never been good at math and I’m not sure if Beans is or not but my suggestion is that next go ‘round, he should check his work because he comes to a solution that leaves a lot of things unanswered.

Rating: 6.0 headphones Out of 10

0 comments:

Post a Comment