March 12, 2008

Snoop Dogg: Ego Trippin'


You would think that for a rapper on his ninth album, not much would have to change. Consistency is obviously not an issue and neither is longevity. Creativity, however, seems like a lost art these days so upon listening to the new album from Snoop Dogg, Ego Trippin’, I applaud Snoop for not being afraid to switch up from what he’s been accustomed to.

By now, I’m sure you’ve all heard the lead single “Sensual Seduction” and it’s funny that we as critics can condemn a rapper for not writing his own lyrics; yet love this song and it wasn’t even wrote by Snoop. In the grand scheme of things, it makes no difference to me. Music is music and as long as it’s something that I can enjoy then I could care less who wrote it. To be honest, I’m not even sure why me and so many others are drawn to this song but there’s just something about Snoop that makes it come off so smooth. No other rapper/singer could’ve pulled it off as well, save for T-Pain and his vocoder, but T-pain on everything is starting to get annoying.

Anyway, Ego Trippin’ is solid all around but not anything spectacular. Fans of Snoop may even be turned off a bit but, like I said, I think it’s good when a rapper can find a new way to express himself creatively. This album serves more as a venue for Snoop to be more personal, if anything, and the growth of Snoop Dogg as not only an artist, but a man, is daunting as each track feels authentic. Not to take anything away from being artistic, but Snoop really took his time with this and you could tell. Whether or not his fans will respond to this new sound is the question but it will be money well spent for those who decide to purchase this CD.
Rating: 6.0 headphones out of 10

0 comments:

Post a Comment