June 1, 2009

Dane Cook's "Isolated" Incident

May have been an absolute waste of time, but that doesn't mean I'm succumbing to the naysayers that think Dane Cook's comedy isn't funny. If anything, I would say he's misunderstood; but that all depends on who you ask.

I, for one, think the guy is superbly talented and have enjoyed his previous stand-ups (i.e. Harmful If Swallowed, Vicious Circle, Retaliation, etc.); but there was just something about Isolated Incident that was missing. I'm not sure if it was a certain pizazz or what. I just felt like his performance was a microcosm of all the negative criticism he receives and the fact that I didn't laugh much didn't help either.

Then again, for all I know, maybe his appeal is starting to wear off. It's no secret that his immense popularity has opened doors for him in Hollywood and, for whatever reason, his focus on comedy hasn't been quite the same since. Is that to say his lack of renewed creativity is to blame? By all means no, but hopefully this, too, (like the title of his latest stand up) is only an isolated incident. At least one could only hope anyway.

0 comments:

Post a Comment