June 1, 2009

¤ Death To Popeyes ¤

I absolutely refuse to feed into this stereotype that ALL black people love chicken; but, the more I try to defend it, the more I realize how true it actually is. Which isn't a surprise. You have no idea how many people went crazy a few weeks back whenever Popeyes had their 8 piece for $4.99 sale [video] and, the sad thing is, I witnessed it with my very own eyes.

Now, I'm not trying to sit here and social analyze this particular issue as if it was a problem; but, one thing I will say, is that niggas love chicken. Now that I have your attention...how about we dig a little deeper now, shall we?

It's not so much the fact that I don't enjoy chicken because I [happen to] eat wings with the best of 'em...it's just that I feel like I'm literally feeding into the stereotype when I do. Sure, I understand that being a little less self-conscience about it would ease things somewhat; but, when Oprah announced that she was giving away free chicken, I fucking lost it!

Are you serious!? That's the two worst things you could say to a black person, let alone mention both "free" and "chicken" in the same sentence. If that isn't a recipe for disaster, then I don't know what is.

But then I thought about it. The response for something like this would be overwhelming and the demand would more than exceed the supply. I'm no business major I mind you, but even a broken clock is right at least two times a day and what do you know...I was right
[video]. A lot of people took to sit-ins when KFC couldn't make good on their promise but, in the end, it wasn't KFC that lost; it was us as a society.

Whether you would like to agree or not, the fact of the matter is that more people protested [video] over some bullshit nonsense like this than those that went out and voted and actually understood the whole process. Meaning, they knew the issues and weren't basing their decision solely on skin color.

Which is sad, for obvious reasons of course, because other important issues could be warranted for protest; yet we, of all things, decide chicken to be one of 'em. It just doesn't make sense. Mainly because, in turn, people are dying from heart disease and high blood pressure and, last I checked, heart disease is the leading cause of death in our country.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should ban together for a boycott on chicken; I'm just saying let's enjoy it in moderation. Besides, we've already established the fact that a black man can become president; what better way to follow that up then to erase this ugly stigma/stereotype that we ALL love chicken.

Now, if only we could work on this whole red kool-aid thing...

2 comments:

RDF said...

As a proud chicken lover i am slightly offended whats written in this blog however you do make a few good points so i will have to respect you for that

Deron O'day said...

Hell yea we love chicken!!! I almost kinda believe if there was no chicken, There wouldn't be any black people. Naw kiddin lol

Post a Comment