November 27, 2007

This Christmas

As is common for this time of year, films with a holiday theme are being released and I’ve always wondered why people fall for the same rehashed material year after year. Going in, I didn’t expect much from This Christmas nor did I get anything from it afterwards but I couldn’t help but feel that I had seen this movie before and it was done a hell of a lot better. I’m sure a lot of you remember a movie called Soul Food and while This Christmas is in no way comparable, I felt that its attempt to be something it’s not came off as weak.

Don’t get me wrong though, I enjoyed the film for what it was but I just thought that it had the potential to be a whole lot better. The cast was mostly perfect and I applaud them for their performances but only so much can be done with a script that was predictable . I expect most of the revenue to be brought in by the loyal fans of Chris Brown but his role is minor just like his appearance in Stomp The Yard. Although he gets more screen time, the downside is that if he wants to be taken seriously as an actor then he needs to find a role that lets him do more than sing and dance.

All in all, This Christmas is solid in its effort but if you’ve seen one Christmas movie then you’ve seen ‘em all. This Christmas is no exception and trust me, there’s nothing special about it so instead of wasting your $6.50 or so, wait for the DVD. You’ll be thankful you did.
Rating: 2 ½ inkblots out of 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment