November 6, 2007

Keyshia Cole's Vibe

I’m not much of a fan of Vibe magazine but I have to give credit where credit is due. Vibe has done what other magazines haven’t been able to do and that’s to get Keyshia Cole to “open” up. I understand that Keyshia has grown since her first album but this is definitely surprising to see her like this. I mean, her latest video was something different too and to be honest, I couldn’t tell you what she was singing about nor do I care, all I know is that after having my TV on mute for 3 minutes…I was that close to heaven.

In all seriousness though, I like the fact that Keyshia is exploring the sensual side of her womanhood because, unlike most, its done tastefully. Keyshia realizes that plenty of her fans are young African-American women and with so many mixed messages being conveyed, it's good that a positive role model like Keyshia is gracious enough to know that her image is the most fragile thing she has going.

A lot of entertainers disown the responsibility of being a “role model” but like it or not, that’s just the way it is. People are influenced by what their favorite “so and so” is and does so just the fact that Keyshia realizes that and remains humble by it, is something I feel should be commended. African-American women are more than what some music defines them to be and if more people took the time and effort to help educate some of those that are lost, then everything would fall in place. Stop blaming music for bad parenting and stop relying on things of that nature to be a babysitter! Morals and shit like that should be taught early so instead of blaming society for what you think is the problem, how about taking a look in the mirror and facing facts for what they really are. Besides, the first role model your kid ever has is you as a parent and apparently…some people just aren’t that to begin with.

0 comments:

Post a Comment