February 3, 2008

The Eye

Maybe it’s a lack of originality when it comes to making movies, but can someone please explain to me this fascination with Japanese horror films? It’s bad enough remakes have become the new “thing” to do in Hollywood but save for The Ring, all of those that followed were really not necessary. It’s not that I’m downplaying the value that some of these films have, but if you’ve seen one then you’ve pretty much seen ‘em all. Enough is enough, we get the fact that Japanese culture embodies the supernatural but why is that we have to turn to another culture in order to be entertained? I guess it all goes back to a lack of originality but, nevertheless, The Eye opened this weekend and after sitting through this dull movie, I almost wished I was blind. Unfortunately, the latter was not viable but, still, I digress.

Let’s see, how could I put this? The Eye is a pathetic attempt at a remake of the same name. Americanized, I say that the film is a failure but, from what I have come to expect, I’m not really surprised. Jessica Alba is decent and does a solid job in carrying her first “real” solo project but I’m still scratching my head, wondering why she would take this role. Was it the fact that Sarah Michelle Gellar or Jennifer Love Hewitt were too busy? Unfortunately, we’ll probably never know the answer but, still, I doubt any of the two would’ve been able to save this movie from the purgatory that it is.



My whole complaint with this movie is that it seems kind of dry. Nothing really scares me anymore when I go to the theater and I think that is the one thing that is missing from today‘s horror movies. All the focus is on how much a film can bring in, instead of the lasting effect it will have on the audience and until actors, producers, writers, and directors realize what is more important, I fear that things will never change.

Am I wrong for wanting to be scared? No, I pay my $7.00 bucks or so to be entertained but when I’m not, I feel as though I have a legitimate right to complain. The Eye, for what it’s worth, is not worth the price of admission but if people continue to support mediocrity then this formula Hollywood has been using will only result in more of the same.
Rating: 1 ½ inkblots out of 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment