August 8, 2009

¤ Vinyl Pop ¤

It didn't dawn on me until the death of Michael Jackson that the collection of old vinyl records my mom had down in the den could possibly be worth something...and, just my luck, she didn't happen to have anything by the late great King of Pop. Just Jermaine.

Now, as frustrating as that was, I remained dilligent in digging through the tons of records she did have and I came across a few keepers. The Rick James one to the left is definitely one I'll keep for myself...along with the Janet Jackson Control album, a few Prince records, and one by New Edition.

Not a bad assortment if you ask me; however, the two vinyl's I really wanted was Purple Rain by Prince and Thriller by Michael Jackson. Somehow, my mom had neither and the thing I don't get is how, for someone that grew up in the 80's, she could have not owned at least one of those!

It just didn't make sense and the more and more I tried to justify it, the more frustrated I became. But, trust me, things have calmed down since. I'm no longer big on vinyl records anymore and, I figure, while it would have been nice to have owned a vinyl of either Purple Rain/Thriller; at least my mom and I were able to connect momentarily, if not briefly. Those kind of moments are what Hallmark cards are made of and, you know, I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world.

Well...at least almost anything...*cough* Purple Rain or Thriller on vinyl *cough*

~T.I.~

0 comments:

Post a Comment