November 3, 2008

What Ever Happened To Fefe Dobson?

Long before Rihanna burst onto the scene, another pop/rock princess was adored by the masses and her name was Fefe Dobson. Now, generally speaking, Fefe wasn't quite as big as Rihanna; but when it comes to style, the two are one in the same.

Regardless I, myself, am a fan of both so it really bothers me that Fefe kind of faded into the background, if you will. Her self-titled debut was slightly above average and received [generally] favorable reviews from critics, so it's beyond me as to why she was dropped from Island/Def Jam.

For all I know, creative differences played a part some how, way, or another though; because her follow-up, Sunday Love, was never released and left a lot of fans disappointed. I, myself, included.

Yet and still, Fefe remains unsigned and no new material has surfaced since. Other than a few minor songwriting credits for Hanna Montana, Fefe's long absence remains a mystery and I, for one, am perplexed by that fact. How can someone as talented as Fefe be looked over, left, and forgotten; or even dismissed as someone unworthy of being heard? You would think, with an industry dying for a breath of fresh air when it comes to talent that it would only be right to hold onto those who truly have it; but when it comes down to it, it seems like revenue will always be a determining factor.

Which is understandable. As much as critics heralded Fefe for her originality and in imprinting her own unique stamp of authenticity towards her music, her album sales failed to reflect such high regards and it's a damn shame. Fefe's talent is on par with only that of her own so, in the words of Solange Knowles, fuck the music industry. If it ain't about money, it ain't about shit it seems; so instead of only advocating that Hip-Hop is dead, how about we just say music, in general, is dead. That notion seems a little more fitting. Wouldn't you agree?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only song I know from her is Take Me Away... But I really love the song. I can't believe she just died away :( Man.. it's a difficult industry.

Post a Comment