November 3, 2008

Detroit Pistons Agree To Acquire G Allen Iverson From Denver Nuggets

When Allen Iverson was traded less than two years ago from the Philadelphia 76ers to the Denver Nuggets, I just knew that him and Carmelo Anthony would be a dynamic force unlike the NBA had ever seen. On paper, the pairing seemed destined for championship aspirations but when a team with so much talent can't even make it out of the first round; sooner or later, there comes a point where reality starts to sink in. Therefore, with that, I'm sad to report that the Denver Nuggets have parted ways with Allen Iverson in exchange for Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess, and Cheikh Samb of the Detroit Pistons.

From a business standpoint, this deal makes sense; but ever since I caught wind of this, I've been back and forth about it [personally] and it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It's no secret that both A.I. and Billups are on the decline, but Billups is the heart and soul of that Piston team and to trade him away is just stupid.

Don't get me wrong, in no way am I questioning Joe Dumars because he's proven over the years that he's quite capable when it comes to this GM thing; but what kind of thought process goes into trading away the glue that binds your team?

A Finals MVP, Billups led Detroit to an improbable win in the NBA Finals a few years back and is, still, fully capable of recapturing that same magic. The only question is, will he be able to [now] in Denver. I, myself, think he won't; but then again, I also thought that Melo and Iverson would've been three deep in championships by now so go figure.

Switching gears, I kind of like this deal from Iverson's perspective because he's never had a "great" team behind him. Rip Hamilton, Rasheed Wallace, and Tayshaun Prince are key, core guys that will mesh with A.I.'s game well (in my opinion) and, for once, A.I. won't have to do it all himself. All A.I. has to do is buy into the team concept and I, truly, believe that this reconstructed Pistons team could challenge the Celtics in the East.

While that remains to be seen, however, I expect Iverson to flourish in his new role and be instrumental in a variety of different ways. His long trek towards NBA glory has been well documented and this here may be his last shot at winning a championship (if not here, his contract expires at the end of the year; making him a free agent and free to go wherever he chooses). No doubt my fingers are crossed in hopes that his dream comes true but, in order for this all to work, I keep thinking about that old Detroit mantra in that "you have to play the right way". Keep that in mind A.I. and the rest will take care of itself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think it was a smart trade because each teams gets what the needed most however neither team will go far in my opinion.

ZACK said...

AI is gonna get that ring, one way or another. Let's hope that Detroit is where he'll make history!

Nice spot! If I can remember, I'll be back through.

Post a Comment