January 2, 2009

Travis McCoy (of Gym Class Heroes) Signs With T-Pain's Nappy Boy Label


Not much in the entertainment industry surprises me anymore, but I found myself scratching my head when I came across this tad bit of news. Assuming everything is accurate, lead singer Travis McCoy of the Gym Class Heroes has signed a solo deal with T-Pain’s Nappy Boy label and I can’t help but be every bit of confused.

It just doesn’t make sense! I read somewhere that this was the equivalent of the whole Snoop to No Limit thing and, arguably, I can justly see how one could equate that to this. Not that it matters much anyway but, still, I’m just trying to piece together how this all came about. What in the hell would possess someone as underrated as Travis McCoy to succumb to commercial success, when it was his underground following that helped him and the Gym Class Heroes be where they are today?

It just goes to show that everybody has a price, I guess, but whatever. From a business standpoint, I kind of see how this works for Travis and linking up with T-Pain will not only increase his visibility, but his profitability as well. Whether or not it will mesh is up in the air but, for now, it's all wait and see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment