October 10, 2011

I Just Remembered Why I Hate American Idol...

18-year-old Haeley Vaughn (pictured right) was a favorite of mine from the moment I first saw her at the Denver auditions and I guess it's because of her amazing story.

She was born two months premature and weighed only two pounds. Surely it's a miracle that she's even alive but, when it comes to the confidence she exudes on stage, you would never know any of this because of her bubbly personality. Something about her makes you want to root for her and it's really unfortunate that America never embraced her as their "idol".

That being said, I think the biggest problem I have with American Idol is with "America" itself. A few years ago, America voted off another personal favorite of mine in Syesha Mercado and I still haven't really gotten over that if I'm being honest. My thing is, how could "America" be so naive? For a country that loves stories of triumph, or an underdog if you will, how could you not want someone like Haeley to win?!

Not only has she surpassed the expectations that were labeled on her when she was born, but what she represents is individuality. She's a pop/country singer for heaven's sake?!?! How many black women do you know that are into that kind of music? Not many that I know of, that's for sure.

Be that as it may, I don't think we've seen the last of Haeley Vaughn. Her departure from American Idol was just the prelude of many more things to come and I'm really curious to see how she responds to the constructive criticism she received on the show. So what if she was a little pitchy? There have been worse singers on the show and how they managed to survive ahead of her is beyond me. All it does is make you wonder who's really pulling the strings? America or the American Idol producers? Just a little random food for thought...

SN: She was 16 years old at the time of her season

0 comments:

Post a Comment