October 7, 2011

Nicki Minaj Covers Cosmo

[For more of Nicki Minaj in Cosmo, click here]
I'm not ashamed to say that I've read a Cosmo magazine before but for that, I would have to blame my friend Jackie. She suggested that I read one a while back (she actually gave me one to read) and I actually did just to see why women love these things so much...

Needless to say I still don't have a clue, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But that's beside the point. Nicki Minaj is featured on the latest cover of Cosmo and I found it interesting to note that Nicki is now the second black woman to grace the Cosmo cover in the last 3 years (the other two being Rihanna twice).

Now as astonishing as that is, I think it speaks volumes for Nicki Minaj. Her crossover appeal beyond Hip-Hop has been more than she could have ever imagined, I'm sure, and it's nice to see her create her own niche. 

Truth be told, I've always considered her the "Black Lady Gaga" and that label is starting to stick with all the outfits, personalities, and radio success that she's having; but it'll be interesting to see where she goes from here. Her sophomore album will be instrumental in her future success but the thing I hope doesn't happen is that she focuses so much on appealing to her "pop" audience that she neglects a Hip-Hop audience that has embraced her from the beginning...

0 comments:

Post a Comment