October 13, 2008

Appetite For Destruction

Is it me, or does it seem like 50 Cent is only setting himself up for failure? His last album, Curtis, flopped big time; and, just in listening to this new lead single “Get Up” (Produced by Scott Storch), I’m thinking that this new album, Before I Self-Destruct, will be just as disastrous. Why? Well, unlike any of his previous leadoff attempts, this song has no substance whatsoever and really begs the question of whether 50 Cent has lost it.

Let me be the first to say that I, for one, thinks he has and will not even give this album the time of day. Nothing about it interests me in the least bit and I’m pretty damn sure it will fall on deaf ears. Do I care? Honestly, no and, quite frankly, I could care less either way; but to those that are fans of 50, the least I could do is be considerate, right? Wrong. 50 could go kill himself for all I care and, for putting out this bullshit, he probably should.

Let's face it. The fact that the latest G-Unit album was the most financial flop in 50 Cent's career, is all the proof in the world that the G-Unit mystique is gone. Nobody cares about these guys anymore and I purely blame it on oversaturation. 50's approach to the whole game was backwards, in my opinion, and I feel like he's paying the price for it now.

Sure, as much as I respect the guy as a business man, 50 clearly know how to market himself; but his main focus should have always been to establish G-Unit as a brand name first. Seeing that he didn't, that ship is sinking fast and, pretty soon, his G-Unit brothers will be looking to make their exit. Young Buck already made his infamous departure and, sooner or later, Lloyd Banks will too. At least, I hope. The guy is too talented to be brought down alongside 50's crumbling empire so, if he was smart, he'd jump ship [now] while he still has value.

Never one to fold, 50 will always keep an ace in the hole; so, maybe Before I Self-Destruct will play out to his advantage. While it's highly unlikely, I'm sure 50 thinks this album is the best thing since sliced bread; but, if so, I think all that Vitamin Water may have gone to his head. Either that, or those steroids are starting to have an adverse effect. You decide and tell me. All I know is, 50's appetite for destruction will be his undoing; so rather than pray on his downfall, I'd much rather sit back and watch it all unfold. Care to join me?

2 comments:

Hugh said...

I've feel the same way.
I've gone through so many arguments with the G-Unit fans that 50 is another Nelly, he'll have his time, but that's all he'll have.

But like you said, I guess we'll have to watch and see what 50 does next.

(His ace in the hole will probably be another diss track, lol)

Anonymous said...

man as much as it pains me to agree with you. i do 50 is slipping big time.

Post a Comment