October 13, 2008

Jennifer Hudson

In a perfect world, Jennifer Hudson would appear to be the ideal artist. Not only has she captivated the hearts and minds of fans alike but, seemingly, her long road to validation has [finally] come full circle.

Now, with her debut album finally in stores, the only question that remains is whether or not it was worth the wait? While some will argue that it wasn't, the silver lining lies within it's [chart] performance; but, quite frankly, I think it will be well received. Allow me to explain.

Getting things started, the Ne-Yo written "Spotlight" makes for a solid opening track and really suits Hudson's vocal style well. From there, "If This Isn't Love" and "Giving Myself" are equally just as good, but it's the Ludacris featured "Pocketbook" that allows Jennifer to try something a little different. Backed by an unorthodox Timbaland production, Jennifer comes off real sassy on this track and Luda's rap is, by far, the icing on the cake.

Not to be outdone, T-Pain accompanies Jennifer on the ballad "What's Wrong (Go Away)" and, here, the two display really great chemistry. Save for that annoying auto-tune effect that T-Pain loves so much, this track is a standout among many and, surprisingly, this album delivers more where that came from.

Most notably, "I'm His Only Woman" featuring Fantasia and the Polow Da Don produced "My Heart" are prime examples of that, but songs like "We Gon' Fight" and "Invisible" deserve honorable mentions as well. Then again, the whole album is on point from start to finish and, in listening, you can really tell that Hudson took her time with this. None of the tracks seem out of place (except for the inclusion of "And I Am Telling You". Everybody and their momma has heard that song, so as to why it was included on the album is beyond me) and the production is solid all around.

Therefore, overall, Jennifer Hudson's debut is an exceptional piece of work and [most] fans will be pleased with the end result. I, for one, was more impressed than I was pleased; but that's only because I've been the biggest critic of Hudson's since her days of American Idol. I never really "got" her and was quick to dismiss her as nothing more than a product of hype. Needless to say, I was wrong; so as I close this review, I guess it's only right to end this with an apology. I'm sorry, Ms. Hudson. And that's with the utmost sincerity.
Rating: 8.0 headphones out of 10

1 comments:

neverdaless said...

I like her better as a actor!!! Her music really don't excite me dat much. She ain't no Beyonce!!!! lol

Post a Comment