April 6, 2009

NCAA Men's College Basketball Final: Michigan State Spartans Vs. North Carolina Tar Heels

The college basketball season comes to an end later tonight and in dramatic fashion, no less. The "heavily favored" North Carolina Tar Heels are set to square off against the battle tested Michigan State Spartans and, going in, the Tar Heels are already a 7 1/2 point favorite.

Now, being the unbiased college basketball fan that I am, I just feel like everything seems a little premature in crowning North Carolina national champions. Sure, I won't argue against the notion that their the best team because, clearly, they've proved that thus far; but, my thing is, Michigan State just defeated two #1 seeds in Louisville and Uconn and did it in back-to-back games I mind you. If that isn't something that should be dually noted then, by all means, I've lost all respect for anybody who claims to know anything about sports. ESPN included.

Would it surprise me if Michigan State won, however? Yes and No. No, in the sense that they already busted my bracket twice already so to each his own; but yes, in the sense that a Michigan State win would not only cement coach Izzo's legacy but would also label this North Carolina team as one that couldn't get it done. Trust me, that stigma would haunt these players for years; especially since the bulk of this team chose to forego the NBA in hopes of bringing a National Championship back to Chapel Hill.

Will they get it done? That remains to be seen. So, with this prediction sure to go wrong, all I can do is go with what my gut is telling me. Therefore, I'm taking Michigan State. Read it and weep.

Final Score Prediction
Michigan State 74, North Carolina 69

0 comments:

Post a Comment