April 25, 2009

NFL | Detroit Lions Select QB Matthew Stafford With #1 Overall Pick

The definition of parody in the NFL would clearly have to be the Detroit Lions. Following the New England Patriots 16-0 regular season, the Lions somehow managed to go 0-16 and made history as the first team to NOT win a game. Thus, awarding them the first pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Now while some would argue that a defensive player would've been better suited for their needs, I can also understand why they went with QB Matthew Stafford. The guy has a cannon for an arm and, in watching him at Georgia, his leadership shines through in his play on the field.

That being said, I guess what I [really] don't understand is how much the Lions seem to have invested in this guy. Need I remind you, Stafford has yet to take a snap in the NFL; so to offer him a six year deal worth $78 million and $41.7 million of that guaranteed seems a little "iffy" to me.

If anything, a bulk of that money could've been used to address the Lions much needed defensive needs; but who am I to have an opinion? All I can do is be the avid NFL football fan that I am and focus on teams that I actually care about (i.e. Patriots, Steelers, Eagles).

0 comments:

Post a Comment