May 24, 2008

†hê £åÐêÐ Ìñk [The Faded Ink] Presents...The 10 Most Anticipated Albums of the Summer

#10. Usher: Here I Stand [Release Date: May 27th]--This is going to be a pretty big record for Usher so I'm interested to see how it performs on the charts. Either way, it's a Usher record so quality music is a guarantee.

#9. Ne-Yo: Year of the Gentleman [Release Date: August 5th]--This Ne-Yo record seems like it will be interesting but I'm just not feeling his whole approach to it. I hate his "Closer" song that he has out now and maybe that's why the label pushed the album back. Still, Ne-Yo makes good music so I'm sure he'll fix things in time. At least, I hope so.
#8. Young Jeezy: The Recession [Release Date: July 29th]--Not many rappers can come out of the sophomore jinx unscathed but Jeezy managed to do so quite nicely. The Inspiration was solid and remained true to it's predecessor but this new album should be fire. The lead single "I Put On" featuring Kanye is on point so I can't even begin to describe how eager I am to hear this new album.

#7. Ludacris: Theater of the Mind [Release Date: TBD]--A Grammy for Rap album of the year is quite an accomplishment, but some feel it was undeserved. Regardless, Ludacris is clearly focused to prove the doubters wrong and Theater of the Mind will serve as the perfect venue for him to do so. He's been consistent since day one and his body of work speaks for itself. However, turn about is fair play also, and his being consistent is what enables him from being considered an elite m.c.; but, hopefully, Theater of the Mind will be able to propel him to such heights.
#6. Robin Thicke: Something Else [Release Date: July 1st]--The Evolution of Robin Thicke was a diamond in the rough for many and a lot of expectations are being placed on this upcoming album from Thicke. The success of Evolution will play a major role in this one, I'm sure, but Thicke just has something about him that translates in his music. I don't know if it's his passion, voice, or w/e but Something Else will be "something else" and contemporary radio will fall in love all over again.
#5. Common: Invincible Summer [Release Date: TBD]--I think my feelings on this album have been well documented, along with countless others, but Common's body of work is the reason why I ranked this album so high. While all signs point to this being a sequl to Electric Circus, Common's earned his stripes to branch out and try something different. Only thing is, will his fans branch out along with him?
#4. Nas: Nigger [Release Date: July 1st]--In case you haven't heard, Nas has decided to scrap his controversial title for this album and has opted to go the self-titled route for now. My personal opinion, I feel it's a punk move but I'm sure there's a lot of politics involved behind the move. Still, this will be an important album for Nas so hopefully his food for thought is worthy of our appetite. Then again, it always is.
#3. T.I.: Paper Trail [Release Date: August 12th]--Facing all kinds of time, T.I. isn't necessarilly defining his career with this album but he has a lot to prove with it in my opinion. T.I. vs. T.I.P. felt like it was the "safe" way to go and while it was ok, it just wasn't worth all the hype. Maybe it's just me but I can't even begin to express how important this album will be for T.I. to deliver. Not to say it'll be a disappointment, but "No Matter What" just isn't going to cut it.
#2. The Game: L.A.X. [Release Date: July 8th]--Supposedly, this will be The Game's final album but, like I wrote yesterday, a rapper retiring doesn't mean anything anymore. Anyway, The Game seems to be in the right place, at the right time because I think this album will serve as the proof people will need to set Game apart as a great M.C. I think the guy is superbly talented and one of the best at this craft, but the respect factor has never been there and is what he needs to validate his career. If "Big Dreams" and "Pain" featuring Keyshia Cole is indication, then by all means, you might as well consider this game over.
#1. Lil' Wayne: Tha Carter III [Release Date: June 10th]--Anticipation can be a gift and a curse but for Lil' Wayne it may just be his downfall. A lot of people have been waiting on this album and for it to come out and be nothing short of spectacular, would be the worst possible thing Lil' Wayne could ask for. Only time will tell though but with so much time that went into this "masterpiece", you just gotta believe that it's going to be good, right? Have you not heard "A Milli"? I rest my case...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a great list man. i would have put plies on here but thats just me

Post a Comment