May 5, 2008

*Vïvå Lå Whï†ê Gïrl

Complexity in its purest form can be a gift and a curse but it’s all dependent upon one’s usage of the “double entendre” (i.e., the art of the double meaning). While it’s not necessarily a key component, or even a necessity for that matter, the idea behind writing something so complex that it evokes creative thinking is what fuels this literary passion of mine. It’s one thing to write; however, it’s another to leave an eternal handprint on society and with this first complex entry, I intend to explore black America and it’s obscene obsession with the proverbial “white girl”. First things first, before I even get into what we will be discussing today, I just want to say that in no way am I advocating/endorsing any of the proposed behavior and that in order to fully understand where I’m coming from, all I ask is that you suspend rationality. As far as this being a race issue…understandably, I could see where people could misinterpret the intent but if you dig deep, then I really can’t see how you could think otherwise. Just know this, whenever you think things are one way, realize that a reflection doesn't have to run parallel and that surface meaning has absolutely no value here. So, with all that said, I’d like to welcome you all to a beautiful piece of strange that I like to call “Viva La White Girl”. Enjoy.
Black America’s allure for the “white girl” has been deeply rooted for years, but it’s only now becoming more prominent. Racial tension remains prevalent and follwing the recent injustice served with the controversial verdict of the Sean Bell case, you would think that it shouldn’t take something like this to bring us together. For years injustice has rang out in this country of ours only to be subdued but for so many years spent rising down, our rising up is sure to be bittersweet.; However, until that day, I guess all of this is a moot point but still, I digress.
You see, it’s not so much the fact that our purported values lack merit because, for the most part, we’re pretty prideful people. Our history is enriched with tales of courage, endurance, and standing up for what we believe in but somewhere along the way, it seems like we’ve lost sight of all that. So much attention is placed on material possessions, as well as the ever elusive chase of the almighty dollar, that “hustlin” has become an unwritten creed/guideline. I think Biggie said it best, “Either you slang rock or have a wicked jumpshot” and unfortunately, young black males are succumbing to the pressures of innercity society. They feel like these are their only two options to make it out and be successful when really, that’s not the case. Who cares what society wants you to be? The alternative is a statistic and it’s alarming to know that there are more black males in prison then there are in college. It’s a sad, harsh reality but in real life there are no gray areas. Things are what they are and unless there’s a beacon for change, things aren’t going to get better on there own.Believe it or not, but the black male is an endangered species. As much as it hurts me to categorize us as such, the realization of such a claim has so many social aspects to it that I don‘t even know where to begin. From one standpoint, people stereotypically associate black, inner city youth with drugs and other assorted paraphernalia but also, the ideology of the black man’s kryptonite is something I feel the need to explore as well.
Both are considered to be a hindrance to our society but, as far as who’s to blame, that’s another issue in and of itself. For instance, if I may, the forbidden fruit theory is the perfect foundation for this subtext so follow me if you will.As a black male, I feel like I have certain obligations and regularities to abide by but deep down lies an embedded piece of software that causes a malfunction from time to time. It’s not prevalent in all black men but I’d say a good majority have this particular character defect. Does it make us any less black? No, it only makes us normal to be honest but jungle fever and detox is not something that go hand in hand. In theory, it would be great if it did but conversely, an addiction is only proprietary by the abuser. That being said, I never could find the logic in people’s disdain for what most consider “selling out” but, really, there’s no white or wrong. Love, like complexity, in it’s purest form is raw, uncut emotion unheralded by the fact that an overdose is remotely possible; but in all fairness, I prefer to liken these feelings to a game of Russian roulette. Either way, a metaphorical suicide is taking place in our community and to just sit idly by and do nothing, is only contributing to this unbridled truth. Things can’t be seen as just black and white anymore and until we embrace that fact, I fear racial genocide will be the end result. It just goes to show that some things on the surface are bigger than what they appear to be. The only question is, which one will be the death of us?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey man that was well written. i actually read the whole thing this time.

Anonymous said...

That was an excellent article. There was a certain doomsday overtone to it, but overall, I really like that you address all those different topics in there. If you get back into school soon, I highly recommend taking multiple sociology courses that are taught by excellent teachers. :) If you can find them of course. This subject touches on so many of the things you brought up that are seen in the world every day. It also opens your mind to many different things unconsidered. Anyway, you mentioned that this was the first installment, so I'm really looking forward to the next one-- this is great stuff! :) And one more thing-- you wrote in there about "white and wrong": I like the way you did that, and I've always wondered (but never asked since I AM white), what is it about "selling out to the white people"? I never really understood that, so I'm glad you mentioned it, and I'd like to see you write even more on it. :) Great job, Trimaine!!! :D <3

Post a Comment