April 16, 2008

Rich Boy: Bigger Than The Mayor [Mixtape]

"Trap Muzik" is hit or miss these days but there’s no denying that Rich Boy is a product of his environment. I suppose real recognizes real and in response, people embraced Rich Boy for his debut anthem “Throw Some D’s”. Now, a solo album later, Rich Boy is readying his 2nd offering upon the world but not before wetting our appetites with his new mixtape, Bigger Than The Mayor. Boasting 16, synth-heavy tracks, this mixtape fires on all cylinders so sit back, turn the music all the way up, and prepare for the ride of your life.

Ok, maybe I’m hyping this mixtape up to be bigger than what it really is but Rich Boy has really been impressing me lately. I first caught wind of this project through a track I downloaded called “Monsta” and ever since, I’ve been eager to hear more. Now that I have…I’m still impressed but only marginally. You see, I’m not really much of a fan of his but I will give credit where credit is due. Songs like “Ghetto Rich” and “Lost Girls” off his self-titled debut show that he’s capable of spittin’ politics but then on the other side, his mush mouthed flow makes it hard to understand. Me personally, I chalk it up as a character defect but, to each his own. Rich Boy is one of the most relevant M.C.’s and if given time and the right guidance, his impact could be much greater.

Still, that wouldn’t save this mixtape but there’s not really much wrong with it either. I’m just not a fan of "Trap Muzik", however, I do like anything that bangs heavy. As long as it sounds right in the car then I’m all for it so from that standpoint, Rich Boy delivers a solid collection of material to ride to. Sure, you may not be able to understand what he’s saying but he’s no different than any other rapper.

Bravado and swagger are both on display so though the interpretation is hard to make out, the message is still the same. That being said, I wouldn’t recommend this mixtape from a journalistic point of view but I still think it’s something that needs to be heard. Being from Alabama, not too many people have made it out like Rich Boy so despite his flaws, I respect what he’s doing and who am I to say differently? Up and coming rappers take note, class is now in session.
Rating: 5.5 headphones out of 10

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was a well written blog. i'm a huge rich boy fan

Post a Comment