April 16, 2008

Street Kings


There’s an overwhelming consensus surrounding urban, crime dramas and the knock on most of them is that they aren’t very good. Then again, maybe it’s just me that thinks this way but, if so, can someone please explain to me why I helplessly sat through Fox Searchlight’s latest attempt at the genre, entitled Street Kings, only to come to the same foregone conclusion?

As puzzling as it may seem, I knew going in not to expect much from Street Kings but I guess it was all the damn previews that had me wanting to see this movie. Besides, you would think that with such a long list of great actors being aboard, there’s no way this film could fail. Unfortunately, 80+ minutes later and $7.00 poorer, I beg to differ.

It’s not so much the fact that this is a bad movie, but it’s more so frustrating with how this film was set up structurally. For what it’s worth, Street Kings is gritty and pulls no punches when it comes to “keeping it authentic” but if you’ve seen one film from this genre, then you’ve pretty much seen them all. Convoluted plot twists and crooked cops go hand-in-hand, of course, and with Street Kings, it’s no different. I’ll admit, however, a few moments of the film gives glimmers of hope but it would take something short of a miracle to save this picture and I’m sure our Lord & Savior has more important matters to deal with. That being said, words can’t describe how disappointed I am with this movie but still, I digress.

So what’s it all about? I’m sure a lot of you are scratching your heads, wondering when this review will get into the plot details but for all extensive purposes, I’ve decided not to divulge any of that information. Not because I don’t want to but because getting into it all would be complicated and the last thing I want to do is jog my memory for what this shit was about. Believe me, it’s not worth the price of admission and plays more as a video rental but I must say that the only good thing I could walk away with is witnessing the evolution of the rapper Common as an actor. I loved him in Smokin' Aces and I loved him here but to only have in one scene is a waste of his talent. It just goes to show that Hollywood and Hip-Hop are one in the same and when the two meet, great things can happen. Well…at least in some cases.

All that said, the performances were sub par at best but I really dug Forest Whitaker in this movie. Ever since Last King of Scotland, Whitaker has taken each of his subsequent roles higher than the screenwriter could’ve ever imagined; and although Street Kings suffers from a bad script, Forest makes perfect use of what he‘s been given. Therefore, thanks in part to the acting of Forest Whitaker and to see a glimmer of potential from Common, I’m giving this movie a pretty fair rating as compared to what it could’ve been. So, see this movie at your own risk, but if you’re not pleased, don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Rating: 1 ½ inkblots out of 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment