June 2, 2008

Usher: Here I Stand

Maturity comes with age but for Usher Raymond, controversy and criticism seems to be a constant staple in his life. Whether it was his much publicized breakup with Chilli to walking down the aisle with Tameka, Usher has become a man right before our eyes. No longer is he the shirtless, new R&B singer exuding confidence and bravado but rather, the more reserved and contemporary veteran--and his latest CD, Here I Stand, is all the proof you need.

I think it's pretty much a given that Usher's last CD, Confessions, brought about a wave of euphoria unlike he had never seen; so, to compare Here I Stand to Confessions would be ignorant on my, or anyone else's, part. Clearly, this new record is intended to stand alone but it's not like that's a bad thing. Usher's approach to Here I Stand is catered more towards the makings of a man and within this journey lies a pretty decent album. Overall, it's a step back from where things left off on Confessions but, the quality of music remains the same and that's all you could ever really ask for, right?

Getting things started, Usher begins things smoothly with an heartfelt intro but things quickly transition into one of the hottest songs out right now, "Love In This Club". Featuring Young Jeezy and produced by hit maker Polow Da Don, Usher croons about sexual seduction in the most romantic of locales (sarcasm just isn't as effective in writing) but I can't even front, the song is kind of hot. Following suit, "This Ain't Sex" has a Michael Jackson influenced vibe but it's the role play romp "Trading Places" that puts Usher's full vocal range to good use. As for the current single in rotation, "Moving Mountains", I have a love/hate relationship with this song but it's equally better than the Wil.i.Am featured/produced "What's Your Name". Don't get me wrong, I love Wil.i.Am and everything he does but this record just feels out of place.

From there, the album shifts it's focus from sex and the party life to more about compassion and love. "Something Special" and "Love You Gently" are beautiful ballads but it's the Jay-Z featured "Best Thing" that stands out the most. "Seeds become plants. Boys become men", Jay-Z states over the Jermaine Dupri produced beat and if I must say so myself, Jay-Z and Usher make for a good team. Switching gears, the album begins to drag after the aforementioned and for that reason alone, I fear this is where Here I Stand will be criticized the most. Save for the Danja produced "Appetite", I didn't really care much for the latter half. Not to take anything away from Usher but, it is what it is.

Plain and simple, Here I Stand is solid but it's far from being in the same league as Confessions. That reasoning alone will, undoubtedly, be what turns some people off of this record but I really don't understand why. Vocally, Usher is at his best and his attempt at pushing for a more "grown up" outlook on life should be commended. I, wholeheartedly, agree that we as men need to step up and be more about "ours" so, instead of making excuses, why don't we decide to stand for something? Besides, a man who won't stand for something will fall for anything and last I checked...I'd much rather have my feet on solid ground. How about you?

Rating: 7.5 headphones out of 10

0 comments:

Post a Comment