June 25, 2008

No Love For Lil' Mama?

You would think after last year's controversial win by Jennifer Hudson in the Best New Artist category that BET would finally get it right [and...maybe it's just me], but can someone please explain to me this stranglehold that Missy Elliott has on the Best Female Hip-Hop category. Including her [not so surprising] win last night, Missy Elliott has won 5 out of the last 7 awards in this category and while some were deserved, I just don't think she deserved the one she got last night.

If anything, Lil' Mama deserved to win this award (in my opinion) because she really gets it in when it comes to her prowess on the mic. (Arguably, you could make the same case for Trina but to compare the two would be a little unfair.) Sure, Lil' Mama hasn't made quite a name for herself yet but neither has Jennifer Hudson and she's just now finishing up her long-awaited debut album. The shit just doesn't make much sense now, does it?

Maybe I'm just talking out of my neck on this one, but I truly feel that Lil' Mama was robbed last night. There's no way Missy Elliott should've won that award because 1)she was nominated for a bullshit single that was from a soundtrack, not an album of her own, 2)she hasn't dropped an album since July 2005, and 3)this isn't a lifetime achievement award. Just like Kobe Bryant was named MVP because of his lifetime of work, Missy Elliott seems to get that same preferential treatment and I've never understood why. I mean, I respect her genius when it comes to originality and being innovative but Lil' Mama had quite a buzz when her "Lipgloss" was poppin' and [oh yeah] she dropped a pretty decent album as well.

Anyway, I just figured I'd drop my two cents on this particular issue because it really struck a chord with me. BET really frustrates me at times and it's annoying the way they do things, but it's not like I can do anything about it. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, Lil' Mama is a winner in my book and hopefully this will be all the motivation she needs to rise to that next level. Only time will tell, however, but her future sure does look bright and one can only imagine the possibilities.

0 comments:

Post a Comment