June 7, 2008

You Don't Mess With The Zohan

Adam Sandler has never fared well with the critics when it comes to his particular brand of comedy but, clearly, his movies are not made to be picked apart and antagonized. His witless, no nonsense brand of humor has won over fans for years and while he's displayed great range as an actor, portraying so in films such as Spanglish and Punch Drunk Love, his niche seems to be for characters we can relate to, in one way or another. Ideally, Sandler deserves more recognition then what he's been given and has earned a level of comedic "immunity", if you will, but after helplessly sitting through You Don't Mess With The Zohan, I think that "Happy Madison mystique" is starting to fade. No longer are these the days of Billy Madison or The Waterboy; and if the Zohan is any indication of what's to come, God help us all.

It's not so much the fact that You Don't Mess With The Zohan is a bad movie but, rather, that it's just not funny at all. Maybe it had something to do with Adam Sandler not being believable as an Israeli turned hairdresser but, to me, halfway through this film the ridiculous plot just started to wear thin. Most of the jokes reverted back to race for cheap laughs and, after awhile, it just started to get overly redundant. As with the case in most Adam Sandler films, I realize the plot is not something to be taken seriously but, all the while, I was left scratching my head, wondering what the hell I was watching? A few years back, I scoffed at Click and passed it off as a bad apple among good one's but now, I'm starting to notice a trend. Even last year's I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry was sub par but, still, it made me laugh. You Don't Mess With The Zohan, however, was not even remotely funny and while I understood the message behind it, I just felt like more could've been done with this film.

For what it's worth, I don't believe in such a thing as a bad film but You Don't Mess With The Zohan comes close. It's definitely not worth the price of admission but, still, die hard Sandler fans will come out in droves this weekend to see it anyway. I, for one, regret that decision in retrospect but, to each his own. Save for the Mariah Carey cameo (she looks great btw) and a few small chuckles here and there, You Don't Mess With The Zohan falls short of any expectations one could have about it. So, unless you have shit for brains or just borderline retarded, this movie is not only a complete waste of time, but a complete waste of money as well. Do yourself a favor and watch vintage Adam Sandler because just like his latest movie implies, you really don't want to mess with the Zohan.

Rating: 1 ½ inkblots out of 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment